Sunday, March 27, 2016

Why Am I Doing This?

I have grown up eating meat especially within my Filipino culture. Filipino food dishes are known to be heavily emphasized on meat. When it was time to think about a lifestyle experiment, the first that came to my mind was what it would be like to take meat out of my diet for a certain time period? I wondered how my body would change by taking out the chemicals from the meat? Also how would my emotional state change with this new change in diet? Will this be making a difference in the world by lessening my meat consumption?

These questions ran through my head as I decided to take upon this lifestyle change for three or four weeks. I decided to ask my friends, who are vegetarian or pescetarian, their advice and their perspective on doing this lifestyle change. My friend Eric said it has helped him become more aware of the food available around campus. He said it is quite limited at times of what he can eat that fits his vegetarian needs. Although he said it has helped improved his moods and his overall health ever since deciding to become to a vegetarian. Then my co-worker Katie decided to become a pescetarian since the start of the school year. She realized that the quality of meat on campus was not to her liking and it made her decide to avoid it. Then she began eating more vegetables and only seafood because of her love for sushi. They both gave me idea to try it out and it made me feel comfortable knowing I have my resources to help me with this lifestyle experiment.

The ability to still keep seafood in my diet really appealed to me for choosing this lifestyle change. Based upon my research these are common reasons of why people choose pescetarianism over veganism or vegetarianism. Here are some of the reasons why most people decide to drastically change their diet this way:
1. Pescetarianism can improve a person's health. Meat has been known to have the nasty pesticides and chemicals that can be harmful upon a person's health. By reducing meat consumption it can reduce for cardiovascular diseases, stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, and other types of cancer. It is not only getting rid of the meat consumption but fish can have a positive improvement on health. Fish is low in saturated fat and contains many polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids that can help treat conditions such as heart disease, depression and ADD. Health improvement is a major appeal when looking into the pescetarianism diet.

2. It also benefits the planet when according to The Vegetarian Resource group that one pound of beef requires 2,500 gallons of water where one pound of soy requires 250 gallons of water. By getting rid of meat it will help save water on this planet. Also the livestock in the U.S. has been known to create tons of waste and toxic emission. This is a issue that is currently happening but meat producers will continue making meat because they produce on hoping to make that profit not by counting how meat eaters are still out there.

These are some of the reasons I have read for how pescetarianism can benefit yourself and the environment. I am excited to start this new lifestyle change and there will be days that I will crave meat but learning that self control and also taking my new iron pills will make sure I am doing well this new diet.

-Yan

Week 1: Adjusting to a New Lifestyle
Adjusting to my new lifestyle as a pescetarianism was very difficult the first couple of days. I had to learn my own self-control of not having meat with every meal. It was very tough and the first couple of days I was very hungry. My body was adjusting that I was not having meat in my system and I had to fill up that hunger with Nature Valley Oats and Honey Granola bars. After the first couple of days of being a pescetarianism I realized that the UND Dining Centers does not have a lot of choices for those who do not eat meat. Also they do not have a vast array of seafood choices besides the tilapia at Squires that you can special order every day. I felt very limited during this first week because I felt empathetic toward my vegetarian friend who ate with me and we both realized that we did not have a lot of choices for a meal. I was very lucky that where we were eating, Terrace Dining Center, had fish sticks that day but it was very unfortunate for my friend Eric who is only a vegetarian. He does not include seafood in his diet. The awareness of my new diet has brought on definitely gave me a perspective that UND does not have enough for those who do not eat meat. 
I am hoping after week one that I will not have to rely solely on Nature Valley Bars to fill up the hunger. I am finding different types of foods such as more salad, order tilapia, or even pasta with just the sauce and no meat are fulfilling meals. Here is to week two and also surviving on iron supplements to help with my low iron because of my no meat consumption and also considering I am anemic does not help the situation. 

-Yan Yan


Week 2: Hardships of Being a Pescetarianism
During week two of being on this new diet, it went easier than week one. My hardships like week one was dealing with the non existent vegetarian selection at Terrace Dining Center. It is quite hard to find anything that works with my seafood selection especially because vegetables and fruits does not satisfy my hunger. Another hardship I had was when I had my Poolman Leadership Banquet was that they did not ask us any special dietary needs for the banquet. They just ordered food assuming that everyone will eat both meat and the rest of the food they had served. It has been pretty eye opening considering that people do not really take in other people's diets when it comes to big group gatherings. Another example I have of that is that at a formal I went to that they only had the option of chicken and nothing else. I ended up eating just the salad and the mash potatoes. It was not very filling but I had to deal with what they had. 

If I could advocate for the dining center to change it would be to allow more selection at Terrace Dining Center. At Wilkerson Dining Center and Squires Dining Center they have wide array of selection for people who have gluten dietary needs and those who are vegetarian. At Terrace Dining Center it is inconvenient because I spend majority of my day at the Union because of my classes. It seems like a hassel to walk over to Squires or Wilkerson just to eat when I have Terrace Dining Center as an option. I believe that should be something the university should taken into consideration when they are planning to remodel the whole Memorial Union in the nearby future. 

-Yan Yan

Week 3: Sushi?
This past week has been easier with eating only seafood and other various meals not containing meat. My body is finally adjusting to my new diet and I am not as hungry as much. My body is doing better with the new lifestyle. I am still craving chicken every once a while but that goes away if I just think of fish. I know lately I have had a knack for sushi. I know Hornbachers are known for some great sushi. I learned about this after one of the Resident Assistants in my building got sushi for his program and said that Hornbacher's make pretty great sushi. So sushi is now my favorite type of meal to have especially with this pescetarianism lifestyle. I am not liking the type that is raw fish but I do enjoy the cooked crab Foxden sushi. 

I know I have decided to do my advocacy project by writing a letter to UND Dining Services about the limited amount of seafood served at Terrace Dining Center. I know that is an issue I want to touch on because I do eat at Terrace Dining Center majority of my school week. Also that they do not really have a vegetarian types of meals served during lunch and that limits certain students to just go to the Wilkerson Dining Center because Wilkerson is known to be more accommodating with their food. Different types of dietary needs should be available at any of the dining centers throughout campus. 

Week 4: Final Stretch!
This last week was my final week of being a pescetarianism. I will admit that it was probably one of the hardest lifestyle changes that I have or will ever do in my life. I am thankful for my friend Katie, who is a pescetarian herself, for keeping me accountable and giving me tips to deal with the new diet. I have learned that certain dining centers, such as Terrace, are not accountable when it comes to being accommodating to people's various diets. Also that I have seen a little bit of weight loss change in me throughout this lifestyle experiment. I have enjoyed telling people about my lifestyle experiment and gaining awareness about this type of diet that many people have not heard about. I know several people are considering it as a way to change their diet in their current lifestyle. 

I will probably not stick with pescetarianism after this lifestyle experiment. I know that I will specifically take meat out of my breakfast meals but not out of my lunch or dinner. I am excited to write a letter to the head of dining about Terrace not being accommodating to certain diets and that they should include more seafood in the meals.

Thank you for staying up to date with my blog and I enjoyed this journey the last three weeks!

-Yan Yan
                                           

Week 5: Long Term Change
After the week of my lifestyle experiment I noticed that I have been self conscious of my meat consumption. I know I am sticking with no meat for breakfast as part of my lifestyle. change that I want to continue from now on. I know my love sushi has continue to grow and that I am going on more sushi dates after this lifestyle experiment. My love for seafood has grown so much after this experiment but so did my love for chicken. I know chicken was my main craving during my time as a pescetarianism but I know I will cut down my consumption for chicken but I do crave it. 

I did decide after my lifestyle experiment that I was going to advocate for more vegetarian and seafood meals at Terrace Dining Center. I eat at Terrace twice a day and I noticed that their meals consists of pork, beef, or chicken. There are rare when they would serve fish or vegetarian related. I am currently writing a letter to the Head Dietitian of UND Dining Services to look into the menu offered at the Terrace Dining Center and add more of a variety of vegetarian meals. I know the Head Dietician, Dustin Frieze, he is willing to listen to students concerns regarding the food at the dining centers. I have seen him present at my Resident Assistant training this past fall and he is an advocate. I am excited to see his response regarding my letter for a change at Terrace.

I am happy to have this chance to share my experience regarding this lifestyle experiment. I encourage the readers to try a lifestyle experiment because they want to help advocate for an issue. It is stated that "Actions speak louder than words." I know my health has improved because of the food choices I decided and taking meat out of my diet surprised me that it helped significantly.

Thank you for following my blog for the last five weeks!

-Yan Yan

No comments:

Post a Comment